Reviewed product: Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin
General score: 4/5 stars
Form of presentation: vegetarian tablets
Serving dimensions: 1 tablet
Recommended dosage: 1 serving / day
Packaging content: 30 tablets
Daily cost: $0.43
Viability: by expiration date
CFU count: 1 billion
Ingredients: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Sodium, L.acidophilus, L. plantarum, B. infantis, L. rhamnosus, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, cellulose, pectin, sodium carbonate, silicon dioxide, vegetable stearic acid, guar gum and turmeric.
Customer satisfaction: no guarantee
Product category: dietary supplement
Where to buy: Vitacost website
If you’re looking for a dietary supplement that will improve your digestion, immunity and well-being, you may want to give Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin a chance. Rated at 4 stars out of 5 and supported by positive reviews, it could be just what you are looking for.
What does it bring new to the table? It combines some of the most popular and well researched probiotics with essential vitamins. This way, you could avoid taking two or more supplements and stick to just one that contains everything your body needs.
Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin also prides with some innovative Nutraceutix trademarks, like LiveBac, BIO-tract and ViaBlend. LiveBac is a tablet processing technology that ensures extended viability for probiotics and eliminates the need for refrigeration. BIO-tract and ViaBlend are delivery technologies that protect the bacteria strains against stomach acid and ensure optimum release of the active ingredients.
Many producers only guarantee their probiotics viability at manufacturing or request refrigeration for their products. Many products receive critics from users who notice no health benefits, probably due to the fact that the active ingredients fall prey to stomach acid and never make it to the intestines. These technologies could be the answer to all these problems.
The 4 bacteria strains in its composition have a rather low CFU count, 1 billion. However, if the tablet processing and delivery technology live up to their promise, this should be enough to ensure beneficial results within days.
The vitamins could help Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin stand out from its competitors. The manufacturer prides to have included 100% or more of the daily value you should ingest for each vitamin.
The simple administration and storage recommendations make this product very convenient, adequate for everyone. You just have to take one tablet a day, with a meal. When or where you take it is up to you, so you have little to worry about from this point of view.
The price should not be an impediment for acquiring Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin either, since it is very affordable, if you buy directly from the manufacturer. On third party websites, the price may double or even triple. $12.99 a month is a low price to pay for a supplement that answers both your probiotic and your vitamin needs.
Neither the manufacturer, nor the existing buyer reviews mention any side-effects, so it is safe to assume that taking this supplement will have no unpleasant consequences. This could be due to the gradual release of the active ingredients, promised by the manufacturer.
One less encouraging aspect related to the use of Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin is the fact that it contains milk, a common allergen. The manufacturer assures that their product is free of tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, shellfish, fish, gluten, soy and titanium dioxide.
However, there is no mention regarding the substances they process in the same facility, so you should not take this statement for granted. Perhaps they did not include these ingredients intentionally, but small traces may have contaminated the tablets and they could be enough to cause adverse reactions.
Most supplements come with a warning for pregnant and lactating women, children and those under prescription treatments to request their doctor’s advice. This one adds hypoglycemia and diabetics sufferers to the list, which means it can affect one’s blood glucose levels.
Also, despite the impressive claims and the innovative technology used for Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin, the manufacturer does not offer any guarantees. It is not an uncommon practice when it comes to dietary supplements, but it would have inspired confidence.
Finally, the greatest weakness of this product could very well be its greatest quality – the content of vitamins. While knowing that one tablet ensures your vitamin needs for the day helps, specialists warn that exceeding the recommended amount of each vitamin could be dangerous.
It is true that Vitacost does not exceed the upper levels for the respective vitamins. However, since vitamins can interact with certain treatments or influence the evolution of certain conditions, you should consult your doctor. Also, be careful not to take other vitamin-based supplements or eat foods that are too rich in certain vitamins.
Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin Ingredients
- Vitamin A – It is an old remedy for acne and various skin conditions, like wrinkles. It can also help treat measles, dry eyes, vitamin A deficiency and a specific type of leukemia. Studies have researched its effectiveness in treating cancer, cataract or HIV, but the results are still inconclusive.
- Vitamin C – Although it is not a complete cure, its beneficial effects in treating a variety of affections should not go unnoticed. From the common cold to weak immunity, cardiovascular diseases, prenatal health problems, skin and eye diseases, vitamin C can help prevent and treat them all, and Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin contains just the recommended daily dosage.
- Vitamin D3 – Vitamin D in general and D3 in particular, especially cholecalciferol, enables your body to absorb the calcium from the foods you ingest and regulates the way calcium functions in your body. It can help treat many conditions associated with vitamin D deficiency, especially those affecting the skin or the bones.
- Vitamin E – Specialists claim that it is very important for the immune system and determines the health of your eyes and skin. Its antioxidant properties have stirred a lot of interest as well. Many people began taking supplements based on this vitamin hoping that they will help them prevent or treat diabetes, heart diseases, cataract or cancer, but the studies performed in this direction were all inconclusive. If you take Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin, you have no reason to consider other supplements.
- Thiamin – It helps the body turn food into energy and produce adenosine triphosphate, the molecule transporting energy within cells. It can help treat conditions related to its deficiency. Other uses include poor appetite, colitis, diarrhea, weak immune system, diabetes, alcoholism, heart disease, canker sores, eye conditions, motion sickness and kidney diseases.
- Riboflavin – It seems to be efficient in treating migraines, cervical cancer, acne, carpal tunnel syndrome, muscle cramps, certain blood disorders and eye conditions. Many people use this Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin ingredient to increase their energy levels, strengthen their immunity and maintain their hair, skin and nails’ health. Others believe it can improve their reproductive function, boost their athletic performance, treat canker sore, memory loss, ulcers, alcoholism, liver diseases and more, but no evidence supports these ideas.
- Niacin – Evidence shows that it can lower cholesterol, prevent cardiovascular diseases, reduce atherosclerosis, lower heart attacks risks and treat pellagra. It may also help treat Alzheimer’s disease, osteoarthritis, cataract and diabetes.
- Vitamin B6 – It is commonly used by women to treat the premenstrual syndrome, morning sickness, post-partum depression and menopause symptoms. Other uses include Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, autism, Down syndrome, nerve pain, diabetes, migraines, asthma, muscle cramps, allergies, acne and infertility. Some people consider it helpful in strengthening the immune system, preventing cancer and treating infections of the eyes and bladder, kidney stones, etc.
- Folic Acid – Doctors prescribe it for folate deficiencies and related conditions, but also to pregnant women, to prevent miscarriages and fetus birth defects. Some people believe this Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin component can prevent colon and cervical cancer, heart diseases, memory and hearing loss, aging, insomnia, depression, nerve and muscle pain and more.
- Vitamin B12 – Besides treating conditions related to its deficiency, it can also help with memory loss and Alzheimer’s and works great as a mood and immune system booster. Other uses include diabetes, male infertility, sleep and mental disorders, depression, bone and joints conditions, bowel diseases, allergies, asthma, skin infections, kidney and liver diseases.
- Pantothenic Acid – Although there is not enough evidence to support its efficiency, people take it in combination with other B vitamins to treat a wide array of diseases, ranging from gastrointestinal problems and mental afflictions to infections, respiratory and bones diseases.
- Sodium – Although everyone is trying to avoid it, consumed with moderation, sodium is a valuable electrolyte with an important role in muscle contraction, enzyme operation, osmoregulation and fluid maintenance. It can have a positive impact on the nervous system, and improve glucose absorption and heart performance. However, it is not the most treasured Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin ingredient.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus – Responsible with synthesizing lactase and vitamin K, it can treat respiratory conditions, vaginal infections, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea and high cholesterol. It also fights lactose intolerance and boosts immunity.
- Lactobacillus plantarum – Evidence shows that it regulates bowel movements, alleviates antibiotics side-effects, improves immunity, mood and gastrointestinal microflora.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus – It plays an important role in preventing diabetes and weight gain, but also treats gastrointestinal issues, seasonal allergies, acid reflux, weak immunity and urinary infections.
- Bifidobacterium infantis – It not only fights bacteria like E. coli and C. difficile, but also improves gastrointestinal function, reduces gas and bloating, boosts immunity and helps the body process lactic acid.
Other Ingredients: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, cellulose, pectin, sodium carbonate, silicon dioxide, vegetable stearic acid, guar gum and turmeric.
Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin Allergy Concerns
The most important allergy concern raised by this product is the presence of milk. Lactose intolerance is an everyday more widely spread problem and could prevent many potential users to benefit from this supplement. Otherwise, the manufacturer clearly states that their product does not contain tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, gluten, shellfish, fish or titanium dioxide, which is encouraging news.
However, keep in mind that there is no mention of whether the manufacturer processes ingredients with a high allergenic potential in the same facility. Low traces of such ingredients could find their way in the supplement, despite their best efforts.
Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin Overall Cost
At $12.99/month and $0.43/daily serving, this supplement is more than affordable. There are lower priced products out there, it is true, but they cannot match the impressive ingredients list of the one under discussion.
The only problem is that this price seems to apply only if you acquire the product directly from the manufacturer. The price requested by other distributors is two or even three times higher.
Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin Side Effects
This product seems to have only beneficial effects, or at least no one has complained about experiencing side-effects so far. The manufacturer gives no warnings either, so you should be safe taking it.
To bring risks to a minimum, make sure you take the recommended precaution measures and consult your doctor in case of pregnancy, breastfeeding, prescription treatments, diabetes, hypoglycemia or any special conditions that could impact your well being.
It is also important to keep the product in a cool and dry place, to stick to the recommended dosage and to monitor your vitamin consumption, so as to avoid overdoses. If you notice any strange reactions, interrupt the administration and consult your doctor.
Judging by the impressive attention to details the manufacturer paid, the comprehensive formula behind Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin and the affordable price, you can expect excellent results.
Even so, you cannot help feeling disappointed when you realize that there are no guarantees. Yes, guarantees are rare among dietary supplements, but when a producer raises the stake this high, you expect them to go all the way.
Why Vitacost will not stand by their product remains a mystery, but your options are clear: you either invest the $12.99 in one supply and hope it will be worth it, or continue to look for less risky options.
Where to Buy Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin?
As mentioned above, Vitacost offers the best price, and since they are the manufacturer, you have no reason to order the product from a third party distributor.
|Category||Vitacost Probiotic Multi-Vitamin|
|General rating||4.0/5 stars|
|Recommended usage||Daily serving|
|Ingredients||Vitamins and probiotic blend|
|Cost||$12.99 (30 servings)|