Reviewed product: Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS
General score: 3 ½ /5 stars
Form of presentation: capsules
Serving dimensions: 7mm x 20mm
Recommended dosage: 1-4 capsules/ day
Packaging content: 120 capsules
Daily cost: $0.2- $0.93
Viability: best by date
CFUs count: 5 billion CFUs
Ingredients: Bifidobacterium breve R0070, Bifidobacterium longum BB536, Lactobacillus acidophilus R0052, Lactobacillus casei R0215, Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis R1058, Lactobacillus plantarum R1012, Lactobacillus rhamnosus R0011, Pediococcus acidilactici R1001
Customer satisfaction: not guaranteed
Product category: daily usage probiotic and specific issues
Purchasing: through official distributors
With a general rating of 3 ½ /5 stars, Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS ranks as an above average probiotic owing to its clear advantages as a dietary enhancer, yet with a few significant drawbacks to its name as well.
First off, you should know that Jarro-Dophilus EPS represents a highly versatile and easy to use supplement. The label recommends administering 1-2 capsules per each day, which would total to a good CFUs count of 5-10 billion microorganisms. In the instance of various stomach issues (for example, episodes of diarrhea, constipation, irregular digestive patterns, etc.), this dosage can easily be increased to 3-4 capsules daily.
As a result, it’s nice to see that Jarro-Dophilus EPS can be used either in smaller or higher amounts and not cause any discomfort, more so since it does indeed pack a significant boost of ‘good’ bacteria in each individual capsule.
This then brings us to the product’s overall potency: with 5 billion CFUs (colony forming units) per serving from 8 different strains of bacteria, Jarro-Dophilus EPS has the ability to meet most of your gastrointestinal and immune-related needs.
The broader spectrum of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium microorganisms can thus ensure both your digestive rhythms and pathogen screening levels are maintained within normal readings, these benefits hence expanding to your overall health in time. In addition, the composition of the Jarro-Dophilus EPS capsules is free of wheat, nuts, and gluten, making this vegetarian and non-GMO supplement very allergen-friendly.
Another clear advantage is the fact that Jarro-Dophilus EPS does not require refrigeration in order to maintain the viability of its probiotic count. The capsules come in blister packs (15 servings per pack), which means they are protected from heat and sunlight that would otherwise make the probiotic component inefficient. Consequently, you’ll be able to conveniently carry around Jarro-Dophilus EPS with you, an advantage that ultimately speaks for this product’s practicality.
Moreover, the EnteroGuard coating on the capsules should ensure the probiotics arrive into the stomach ‘safe and sound’, where they can start making a difference for the better in your overall gut wellbeing.
On the other hand, there are a few aspects regarding Jarro-Dophilus EPS that take away from its appeal. For instance, the probiotic supplement contains both milk and soy, two of the major allergenic concerns of today’s times.
This means that people who are lactose intolerant, as well as those who are aware of any soy sensitivity, should be cautious when using this dietary enhancer or even try to find an alternative in light of this aspect. The product also contains potato starch and a number of other additives/ fillers which should ideally be missing from a more natural and wholesomeness-oriented product.
Moreover, Jarro-Dophilus EPS cannot be administered to children, which is disadvantageous for those who would like to employ a single probiotic for the entire family and not keep track of other brands as well.
Overall, Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS receives a general score of 3 ½ /5 stars in light of its simple administration regime, dosage flexibility (since it can be used both as a daily probiotic or for specific ailments), and travelling convenience. While negative features such as its allergenic potential (dairy and soy components) and age restrictions do take away from the product’s quality, Jarro-Dophilus EPS still remains an above average product that could potentially benefit a wider range of individuals.
- Bifidobacterium breve – represents a probiotic component naturally found in the human body. Among the major advantages of having Bifidobacterium breve as a constant presence inside your gastrointestinal tract we can mention improved digestive rhythms, enhanced motility patterns, and overall boosted immunity. Established colonies of this ‘friendly’ microorganism will compete for digestive efficiency, which then translates into increased nutrient absorption and less abdominal discomfort in the long run. In addition, Bifidobacterium breve can highly aid in colon maintenance by alleviating unwanted side effects such as bloating, gas, antibiotic-caused diarrhea, and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms alike.
- Bifidobacterium longum – is most commonly found both in the gut and the vaginal system as well. It is in such environments where this probiotic thrives by either aiding with food decomposition or immunity protection. The advantages of having Bifidobacterium longum inside your organism are multiple, from less instances of antibiotic-associated diarrhea and lactose intolerance reactions to overall better health and intensified carcinogenic protection.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus – is an ‘acid-loving’ bacterium renowned for its positive contribution to reducing the symptoms and negative side effects of lactose intolerance. By breaking down the ‘tough’ sugars in milk and milk-based dairy products, Lactobacillus acidophilus significantly decreases instances of bloating, gas, irregular bowel motility (for example, in the form of constipation and/ or diarrhea), visceral cramping, etc. Moreover, this ‘good’ microorganism is responsible with an accelerated detoxification of the body, alongside better screening against harmful pathogens and meliorated IBD symptoms.
- Lactobacillus casei – as research has demonstrated, Lactobacillus casei has the ability to colonize the gastrointestinal tract all across its extent, from the oral cavity to the stomach, small intestine, and colon as well. Like any good probiotic, it brings positive contributions to digestion, immunity, and mood regulation. Owing to its high resistance to pH and temperature fluctuations, Lactobacillus casei can flourish inside the human body and make a real difference in instances of gut disorders such as Crohn’s disease and diarrhea episodes.
- Lactococcus lactis – is widely regarded as the first genetically modified organism employed in the active treatment of a human illness (namely Crohn’s disease). Nowadays, Lactococcus lactis is regularly used in the food industry as a started culture for many cheese and buttermilk varieties as a result of its highly potent fermentative capacities. In terms of health and wellbeing, the present probiotic can be used as an active helper for persons who have trouble digesting milk-based products (with Lactococcus lactis being able to rapidly process specific sugars into the more easily digestible lactic acid).
- Lactobacillus plantarum – is a versatile ‘good’ bacterium utilized in the fermentation process of numerous foods including pickles, sauerkraut, and sourdough bread. The same positive characteristics then translate into health-related benefits, with Lactobacillus plantarum acting as a powerful instrument of alleviating IBS symptoms, promoting correct nutrient absorption at the level of the gut, and improved distribution of such substances throughout the body. This is possible because Lactobacillus plantarum has the special capacity to produce the amino acid called L-lysine, which contributes to calcium assimilation, overall detoxification, and even mental health (for instance, meliorated anxiety management).
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus – was first isolated as a probiotic at the beginning of the 1980s, when specialists observed its elevated resistance to stomach and intestinal acids. Aside from being used as a starter culture in numerous fermentative processes, this tolerance hence translates into health benefits like improved digestion of ‘tough’ foods and immune protection as well. In addition, Lactobacillus rhamnosus can boost pathogen screening by eliminating unwanted pathogens and their subsequent overgrowth from the intestinal and urinary systems alike.
- Pediococcus acidilactici – as a member of the Lactobacillus family, Pediococcus acidilactici distinguishes itself through a good pH and temperature resistance, which then allow it to properly colonize the gastrointestinal environment. Here, this probiotic generates improved digestive patterns and protection against pathogens such as Salmonella, Clostridium difficile, and Escherichia coli. Other benefits of this ‘friendly’ bacterium include accelerated microflora regrowth after prolonged antibiotics treatment and reduction of parasite-induced infections.
Other ingredients included in Jarro-Dophilus EPS are potato starch, magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and vitamin C, alongside hydroxypropylmethylcellulose and an aqueous-based enteric coating for the vegetarian capsule.
Unfortunately, Jarro-Dophilus EPS contains ingredients with allergenic potential, namely milk and traces of soy. These two substances can cause anything from visceral discomfort to severe reactions in persons who are lactose intolerant and/or allergic to soy, so be sure to take this present probiotic supplement with caution if you find yourself in a similar position.
On the other hand, Jarro-Dophilus EPS is free of other major allergens such as fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, wheat, and eggs. The other great thing is that the Jarro-Dophilus EPS pills are non-GMO and vegetarian – they only contain hydroxypropylmethylcellulose and an aqueous-based enteric coating – meaning that they can be very easily included into a variety of lifestyles and not interfere with them directly.
Every Jarro-Dophilus EPS packaging format contains 120 capsules and can be purchased through official distributors for the price of $27.97. Dividing the cost by the number of individual servings, we arrive at a total of $0.23 per capsule, a number way below the 70 cents you might end up paying for an average good quality probiotic.
The only issue in this sense would be how much you actually choose to administer on a day-to-day basis: if, for instance, you stick with a regular dosage of 1-2 capsules, then you can get a good probiotic kick (5-10 billion CFUs) for way below the average price range.
On the other hand, specific ailments that require higher dosages of the supplement – up to 3-4 capsules per day (15-20 billion CFUs) – might take you over the normal price range into the $0.93 area. The good news is that you only have to use this higher dosage when you’re facing a gastrointestinal imbalance, after which you can return to a lowered CFUs count – and diminished daily investment too.
One of the great things about Jarro-Dophilus EPS is that it does not cause any noticeable side effects during administration. As you probably know by now, there are numerous instances where the first few days of probiotic usage lead to an array of unwanted symptoms, from abdominal discomfort and mild cramping to gas, bloating, and even digestive imbalances in the form or constipation and/ or diarrhea.
Luckily enough, you don’t have to worry about this with Jarro-Dophilus EPS because, despite its rather elevated CFUs count, it appears to be both mild and effective in the long run. Nevertheless, if you plan on increasing your dosage to 4 capsules per day, then make sure to do so gradually so as to avoid any sort of visceral difficulties in this initial period of usage.
The downside to Jarro-Dophilus EPS is that it the manufacturer does not explicitly offer any sort of guarantees for its customers, either on the packaging or on the official website. As a general rule, any good quality probiotic – or supplement in general, for that matter – should offer you at least the possibility to try out the respective product in a specific timeframe (anything between 30 days and 90 days, most often) and only then decide whether your experience was a satisfactory one or not.
In the latter case, you could then return the remaining dosage, alongside the packaging, and receive at least some refunds from your initially invested sum.
This is not the case with Jarro-Dophilus EPS, a detail definitely takes a bit away from the item’s general credibility in terms of manufacturer professionalism regarding customer support and money-back policies.
You can easily get a hold of Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS through its official distributors.
Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS – general view
|Category||Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS|
|General rating||3 ½ /5 stars|
|Recommended usage||Daily usage probiotic and specific problems|
|Ingredients||5 billion CFUs, 8 distinct strains of probiotics|
|Allergenic potential||The product contains traces of soy and milk|
|Cost||$27.97 for 120 capsules (4-1 months of usage; administration dosage may vary)|
|Side effects||No noticeable side effects|
|Manufacturer guarantee(s)||Not specified|
|Purchasing||Via official distributors|