Reviewed product: GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement
General score: 4.2/5 stars
Form of presentation: capsules
Recommended dosage: 1-2 probiotic capsules daily
Packaging content: 30 capsules
Daily cost: $0.67 – $1.34
Viability: until expiration
CFU count: 10 billion
Ingredients: Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v, magnesium stearate, and potato starch.
Customer satisfaction: guaranteed
Product category: daily use probiotic
Where to buy: manufacturer’s website.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement General Review
At first sight, the GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement may not draw your attention otherwise than through its rather funny name.
However, once you associate the name with the probiotic drinks that have made the delight of millions of Americans throughout the last years, you cannot help but get curious.
Judging by the rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars, the product is worthy of your time and interest. Just as the line of drinks and shots preceding it, this supplement relies on a potent and simple single-strain natural formula: freeze-dried Lp299v, potato starch, hydroxypropyl-methylcellulose and magnesium stearate.
You cannot help but appreciate the lack of artificial flavors, colors, sugars or preservatives, but also the low allergy potential, given that it only contains low traces of soy, but no sugar, dairy or gluten. The fact that the supplement is compatible with vegan diets is a huge plus as well.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement is safe even for children above 1 year of age and can be administrated during treatment with antibiotics, the only warning regarding its use referring to those with immune system deficiencies.
Until recently, the capsules required refrigeration in order for the bacteria strain to remain alive. Ever since the manufacturer began using the aluminum tube packaging and the integrated descant closure, heat and moisture are no longer an issue, so the product is easier to use, especially when traveling.
The Probi•Digestis® technology used for the Good Belly Probiotic Supplement aims to ensure that the bacteria makes it through your stomach unharmed by acids and reaches your intestines in the best conditions, ready to form the precious colonies guaranteeing your health.
Add to it the impressive CFU count of 10 billion per serving, and you begin to understand how NextFoods won their reputation.
Not only that their formula is highly concentrated, but its viability is guaranteed until expiration, so nothing prevents those tiny miracles to settle in your gut and start consolidating your health.
A great strength of the GoodBelly products is the money back guarantee. After the 12 Days Good Belly Challenge expired, the manufacturer launched the 12 Days GoodBelly Reboot campaign, with the same message: you feel great and keep consuming GoodBelly products, or you get your money back.
Administration flexibility can be very important for someone with a busy schedule. The good news is that Good Belly Probiotic Supplement can be taken during or after meals, but not earlier than 2 hours after taking antibiotics. The not so great news is that you may need to take 2 capsules a day.
On one hand, this means one more thing to remember and worry about. On the other hand, it also means paying more, doubling daily costs. Luckily, the product is not expensive, but rather mid-priced.
At $19.99 per 30 capsules, your daily costs would reach $0.67 if you take only 1 capsule or $1.34 if you take 2. Also, if you are to take 2 capsules a day, you will have to remember renewing your supply every two weeks.
More than that, some people have trouble swallowing capsules and may come to dread this form of administration. For them, the only consolation is that the capsules have no taste whatsoever.
Although the manufacturer does not mention any side-effects for their GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement, users recount having experienced light stomach cramps, intestinal discomfort, and diarrhea on the first days of use. From this point of view, it may help to begin treatment during a less busy period.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement Ingredients
As mentioned before, this product relies on a unique bacteria strain, namely Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v. It is one of the over 125 species of the Lactobacillus genus, a common presence in yogurt, wine, cider, sauerkraut, cheese, pickles, chocolate and many other fermented foods.
The strain under discussion was first discovered in 1986, and it was the first to be isolated from human intestines. It was first administrated to patients who had undergone intestinal surgery, with the purpose to speed up their recovery after the procedure.
Tens of studies have been performed ever since, and they all concluded that the bacteria in GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement is safe to use and provides valuable human health benefits.
Among the most important benefits and abilities attributed to Lp299v, the following should not be neglected: the ability to bind to the intestinal mucosa and form colonies, tolerance to stress factors like pH or bile acid, inflammatory changes prevention, bacterial overgrowth regulation, vaccine efficacy enhancer when administrated immediately after vaccination.
But there is more to the main strain of GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement:
- It reduces pathogen penetration and growth – By adhering to the gut mucosa and colonizing it, the bacteria prevents the penetration and harmful effect of pathogens. It also stimulates mucin secretion, known to hinder the growth and expansion of disease-promoting bacteria. Lp299v also produces short chain fatty acids, known to lower the luminal pH of the colon and create an unfavorable environment for pathogen growth. By inhibiting pathogen growth, the probiotic also reduces the circulation of endotoxins, known to over-stimulate the immune system and, thus, favor inflammation and infections. Lp299v was also shown to reduce E-coli colonization and thus prevent bowel discomfort and diarrhea.
- It supports healthy digestion and improves nutrient absorption – The main GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement ingredient metabolizes fibers and sugars, turning them into nutrients, such as short chain fatty acids, vitamins, polyamines, amino-acids, and antioxidants. These are the colonocytes’ main nutrients, essential for the health and proper functioning of our gastrointestinal system.
- It strengthens the immune system and maintains its health – Lp299v not only benefits the general health of the gastrointestinal tract but also the immune system. The Lp299v colonies affect the cytokine, immune cell and metabolic profiles within the intestines, positively influencing immune function. Several studies connect proper immune function to enhanced learning ability and memory. Additionally, these beneficial bacteria have the ability to stimulate the influence of certain factors and proteins on cell membranes, changing cell interaction with various cells and particles in the gut and the tissues surrounding it.
- It improves irritable bowel syndrome symptoms – Administrated to patients suffering from IBS, Lp299v was shown to reduce flatulence, bloating and abdominal pain, to normalize stool volume and frequency and to improve general gastrointestinal health.
- It alleviates symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease) – The strain behind Good Belly Probiotic Supplement was shown to alleviate abdominal pain, reduce vomiting, treat diarrhea, reduce hemotochezia and slow down weight loss.
These being said, it is easy to understand why the NextFoods specialists chose this particular strain for their products and how the GoodBelly brand became so popular and successful. But, let us take a look at the other three ingredients of the probiotic capsules, to clear any doubts related to their content.
- Magnesium stearate – Used in many medicines and dietary supplements for its lubrication properties and its ability to delay capsule dissolution, its main purpose in GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement is to help the Lp299v make it to the intestines without being affected by stomach acid.
- Hydroxypropyl-methylcellulose – It is a cellulose polymer modified through chemical procedures, rated as safe for human consumption. A vegan and low allergy alternative to gluten and gelatin, it is often used in foods as a thickening agent and in medicines as main capsule material.
- Potato starch – Natural and largely available, with a neutral taste and odor, it is commonly used in the supplements and food industry for its thickening, anti-caking, bulking and gluing properties.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement Allergy Concerns
With a short and clear list of ingredients, this probiotic does not leave room for many allergy-related concerns. Although it has not been checked and rated by the FDA, it seems to be free of eggs, dairy, fish, seafood, nuts and most substances are known to cause allergies.
The manufacturer does warn consumers of the possible presence of soy traces (so you might want to avoid this if you have a soy allergy), and tests showed minimum traces of gluten, but below the limit required for the FDA to rate a product as gluten-free.
Otherwise put, unless you know that your body has a negative reaction to starch, soy, magnesium stearate or hydroxypropyl-methylcellulose, you can go ahead and try the supplement. If you are not sure, you can always ask your healthcare provider for advice.
All in all, compared to other supplements in its category, this probiotic is very promising and should pose no threats, especially since it can be safely administrated even to children above the age of 1 year.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement Overall Cost
The unclear dosage makes it difficult to evaluate this product as cheap or expensive. It is one thing to pay $0.67 a day, and a completely different thing to see the cost double, if you need to supplement your daily serving from 1 to 2 capsules.
For the sake of the verdict, we can rate it as affordable to mid-priced and hope that you will only need one capsule a day to see your gastrointestinal and immune health improve and recover your energy and well-being.
Of course, you cannot know if a product works before you try it, and your health and well-being should be more important than money, especially since other similar products are much more expensive.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement Side Effects
Do not expect the GoodBelly capsules to turn your life upside down – they won’t, neither when it comes to benefits nor as far as side-effects are concerned. You will slowly but surely begin to notice that it reduces gas and your bowel movements tend to solidify.
These beneficial effects may be correlated to mild bloating, cramps and even diarrhea, but nothing difficult to put up with.
More than that, these side effects should not last more than a few days, until your body gets used to the new regimen and the changes occurring inside it.
You will probably dread the thought of dealing with such symptoms when you already have digestive issues, but remember that most probiotics induce such reactions and they will all be history within a couple of days.
Do not forget to wait for two hours before taking GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement if you are on antibiotics, and to consult your healthcare provider if you suspect that you suffer from some form of immune deficiency.
Have you gotten used to the idea that guarantees are just a dream when you acquire dietary supplements? This is true with most products out there, but not in this particular case. Yes, the Next Food team does not fear failure and stands by its product.
You are challenged to try it for 10 days and, if you notice no improvements, you will get a refund. The company seems to organize such programs regularly, and this can only be considered a proof that they have nothing to fear.
The company also announced that they have taken measures to obtain FDA approval for GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement’s gluten-free content, but the procedures have yet to be completed.
Leaving details aside, the truth is that you can never be completely sure that a certain product will work for you, and it is unlikely that you will wait for a month or two and pay shipping costs to get your $19.99 back.
In this case, you at least have a safe and simple product, supported by hundreds of positive reviews and relying on heavily tested and efficient ingredients.
Where to Buy GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement?
Given the popularity of the GoodBelly line of products, you will probably come across this supplement on many websites and even in local stores.
However, it is recommended to buy it through the manufacturer’s website, especially if you want to benefit from the refund guarantee they offer.
GoodBelly Probiotic Supplement General View
|Category||Next Foods GoodBelly Probiotic|
|General rating||4.2/5 stars|
|Recommended usage||1-2 capsules daily|
|Ingredients||Lactobaccilus Plantarum 299v, 10 billion CFUs|
|Cost||$19.99 (30 capsules)|