Reviewed product: Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC
General score: 3.7/5 stars
Form of presentation: vegetarian tablets
Serving dimensions: 1 tablet
Recommended dosage: 1 serving / day
Packaging content: 60 tablets
Daily cost: $0.40
Viability: by expiration date
CFU count: 10 billion
Ingredients: Sodium, Vitamin C, B. bifidum SD-5857, B. breve SD-5206, B. infantis SD-6669, B. lactis SD-5219, B. longum SD-5588, L. acidophilus SD-5212, DDS-1 ARS #B-3208, L. brevis SD-5214, L. casei SD-5842 and SD-5213, L. fermentum SD-5847, L. helveticus SD-5861, L. plantarum SD-5870 and SD-5209, L. reuteri SD-5865, L. rhamnosus SD-5839, SD-5217 and GG ATCC-53103, Lactobacillus sakei SD-6853, Lactobacillus salivarius SD-5208 and SD-5851, Lactococcus lactis SD-5848, Pediococcus acidilactici SD-5866, Streptococcus thermophilus SD-5207 and SD-5849. Other ingredients: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, pectin, sodium carbonate anhydrous, ascorbic acid, vegetable stearic acid, corn maltodextrin, turmeric and guar gum.
Customer satisfaction: no guarantee
Product category: multi-strain probiotics
Where to buy: Amazon website
Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC General Review
With so many probiotic supplements out there, you are sure at a loss when it comes to making a choice, but you might want to check out Multi-Strain Probiotic. It does not have the best rating, 3.7 stars out of 5, but it has some very encouraging reviews and a promising ingredients list.
The best thing about it seems to be the diversity of probiotic strains it contains. Besides their impressive number, no less than 26, there is also the presence of some new genera, like Enterococcus, Lactococcus, Pediococcus and Streptococcus, quite rare in other supplements.
Vitamin C is a great addition as well, having valuable health benefits. Also, the manufacturer prides in having implemented a new tablet processing technology. BIO-tract is a Nutraceutix trademark that allows the delayed release of the active ingredients and helps the bacteria strains in Multi-Strain Probiotic survive stomach acid.
While the probiotic cultures come from Denmark and USA, their processing takes place in the USA. The final product undergoes heavy testing, both in-house and in third party laboratories, so it should be effective and safe.
Add to this the fact that you only need to take one tablet a day, and you begin to feel that you have found a great product. Since it does not require refrigeration, you do not even have to ensure special storage conditions for it when you are travelling.
However, make sure the room temperature does not exceed 70-80 degrees and keep the recipient away from moisture. If you do not, the bacteria strains may come to life ahead of time and lose their viability. That would compromise any results you hope to obtain with Multi-Strain Probiotic.
Other great news is that one supply will last for no less than two months. Thus, if the product works and you decide to keep using it, you will not have to keep track of your supplies and order weekly or monthly. More than that, the price is quite affordable. At $0.40/day, you cannot complain that you will go bankrupt. Other supplements cost even ten times more.
But this is where the all-good news ends. What follows, is a list of controversies that you should weigh carefully before deciding whether to buy the product and try it or simply forget you found it and keep looking.
The biggest controversies refer to Multi-Strain Probiotic’s content. While the formula includes 30 billion live probiotic cultures at manufacturing, the manufacturer only guarantees that one third of them will make it to expiration date, which is quite little.
Then, on one hand, the manufacturer claims that their product is free of allergens, but, on the other hand, they acknowledge that some allergens may have still contaminated the supplement.
Thus, the product is supposedly free of gluten, eggs, seafood, nuts, soy, GMO, sugar and artificial fillers. However, it may contain traces of corn, milk and yeast. Also, the manufacturer processes soy, seafood, dairy and gluten in the same facility, so contamination is still possible.
Then, despite the impressive results of the third party tests and the complex ingredients list, the manufacturer provides no guarantees. They use the term several times referring to the CFU count and gluten-free content. However, in the end, you cannot rely on recovering the money you pay on your first Multi-Strain Probiotic supply if it proves ineffective.
If taking one tablet a day is easy and great when you have a busy schedule, this tablet seems very difficult to swallow. Consumers describe it as chalky, and the size is not negligible either. If you have trouble swallowing pills, you may want to rethink your options.
Finally, the health benefits this supplement promises come with a glitch: side-effects. The manufacturer does not mention them, but several reviews discuss them in detail. They range from gas and bloating to severe gastrointestinal discomfort, so you may want to begin treatment on your days off or take some time off from work.
Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC Ingredients
- Vitamin C – Its health benefits range from preventing to treating immune deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems and skin and eye affections.
- Sodium – Consumed moderately, it is a beneficial electrolyte that helps muscle contraction, osmoregulation, enzyme operation, body fluid maintenance glucose absorption and cardiac activity.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum – Besides preventing vitamin deficiency, strengthening the bone and regulating blood flow, it also boosts energy levels, physical and mental development and red cells production.
- Bifidobacterium breve – Through it, Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC regulates colon functioning, offers protection against diseases and prevents constipation. Other benefits refer to diarrhea and gas reduction, intestine irritation soothing, immunity stimulation, and Candida and E. coli inhibition.
- Bifidobacterium infantis – besides inhibiting pathogens like E. coli or C. difficile, it regulates gastrointestinal functioning, alleviates bloating and gas, stimulates the immune system and helps your body digest lactose.
- Bifidobacterium lactis – Its most valuable property is the ability to break down waste, but it is also a powerful immune system booster, a cholesterol reducer and an effective vitamin and mineral absorber. It can significantly improve digestion and even inhibit tumor growth.
- Bifidobacterium longum – Its main actions in Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC refer to lactic acid production and sugar fermentation. Studies show that it also alleviates gas, bloating, constipation, anxiety and stress gastrointestinal side-effects and irritations. It strengthens the immune system and decreases colon cancer risks.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus – This strain is a valuable lactase and vitamin K synthesizer, but also treats respiratory conditions, bowel diseases, high cholesterol, diarrhea and vaginal infections. It improves lactose digestion and stimulates immunity.
- Lactobacillus brevis – It helps digestion, fights ulcers and boosts immunity. With strong anti-microbial action, it improves gum health and boosts antibiotics effectiveness.
- Lactobacillus casei – It gives Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC the power to treat gastrointestinal issues ranging from constipation and diarrhea to infections and antibiotics side-effects.
- Lactobacillus fermentum – It works wonders when it comes to restoring microflora balance, especially in the urogenital system of women. It also restores the balance between healthy and unhealthy microbes and lowers cholesterol.
- Lactobacillus helveticus – Besides supporting digestion and immunity, it also prevents pathogen spreading and has valuable anti-mutagenic, anti-hypertensive, anti-microbial and anti-tumorigenic benefits. Some studies showed it can lower blood pressure and inflammations.
- Lactobacillus plantarum – This Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC bacterium improves bowel functioning, provides relief against antibiotics side-effects and boosts your mood, immunity and gut microflora.
- Lactobacillus reuteri – It inhibits intestinal and urogenital pathogens and yeast, produces powerful acids that can kill many strong viruses, and even HIV. It produces hydrogen peroxide, very valuable for vaginal health, and inhibits Staphylococcus aureus, one of the worst “bugs” out there.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus – Besides preventing obesity and diabetes, it also improves gastrointestinal functions and fights weak immunity, seasonal allergies, acid reflux, and urinary infections.
- Lactobacillus sakei – Identified in the Korean dish kimchi, but also in fermented foods and especially pickles, this strain is now the focus of several studies. Preliminary results show that it can treat sinusitis, allergies and related symptoms, as well as the most common gastrointestinal issues.
- Lactobacillus salivarius – It allows Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC to alleviate gastrointestinal issues like antibiotics diarrhea, improve lactose digestion, reduce cholesterol, blood pressure and bowel disease symptoms and improve dental health.
- Lactococcus lactis – It inhibits spoilage bacteria growth, inhibits gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria and offers protection against fungi. It also stimulates the mucosa’s immunity to HIV, HPV, malaria and other nonrespiratory pathogens.
- Pediococcus acidilactici – This FDA approved probiotic inhibits pathogens and withstands gastric acid. It has the ability to balance gut microflora and reduce suboptimal health risks. According to recent studies, it has an anti-inflammatory action in the intestines and boosts immunity.
- Streptococcus thermophilus – This Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC ingredient boosts the immune system, improves colon health and lowers colon cancer risks. Research suggests it can protect the intestines against irritation induced by chemotherapy.
The purpose of the other ingredients is to provide the consistency, color and taste of the tablets and to ensure their long term resistance and viability. These ingredients are: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, pectin, sodium carbonate anhydrous, ascorbic acid, vegetable stearic acid, corn maltodextrin, turmeric and guar gum.
Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC Allergy Concerns
If the product seems allergy-friendly at first sight, things are a little more complicated than that. Besides the risk to develop allergy symptoms to one of the listed ingredients, there are other milder risks you should not overlook.
On one hand, the product could contain traces of corn, yeast and milk, all powerful and common allergens. On the other hand, there is a high contamination risk you should be aware of. The manufacturer claims that the supplement is free of gluten, eggs, seafood, nuts, soy, GMO, sugar and artificial fillers. However, they process soy, seafood, dairy and gluten in the same facility, using the same equipment.
To avoid any unwanted reactions, your best bet is to analyze the ingredients list carefully, even discuss it with your doctor. Only order the product if you are sure it will not cause you any harm. You should also contact your healthcare provider if you experience any negative reactions after taking it.
Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC Overall Cost
With a price as low as $23.99 per two months supply and $0.40/daily serving, you have little to complain about in terms of costs. The 26 strains are not a detail you can neglect either, so all in all, this looks like a pretty good deal.
You even save money on shipping, since you only need to order a new supply every other month. Of course, once you have seen the results and you know the product works, nothing keeps you from ordering several supplies at once.
Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC Side Effects
If you take the product label and the manufacturer’s presentation for granted, you should have nothing to worry about in terms of side-effects. However, things are not exactly what they seem.
Several buyers complain about having experienced gastrointestinal discomfort ranging from cramps, gas and bloating to diarrhea, especially on the first days of use. These side-effects may be common to many probiotics out there, but you may want to prepare for facing them, just in case.
In terms of precautions, it is important that you follow the manufacturer’s storage and administration directions. Consult a doctor if you are pregnant, nursing, under treatment for various health conditions or allergic to any of the listed ingredients.
You will see various benefits guaranteed in the manufacturer’s presentation of the Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC, but that is as far as the guarantees go. If you try the product and you are not happy with it, you are at the mercy of Amazon’s return policy.
In other words, you can only do your homework, compare this supplement with other similar products and decide if it is worth investing $23.99 in the promises accompanying it. The decision is all yours, but remember that guarantees are a rare sight among dietary supplements.
Where to Buy Multi-Strain PROBIOTIC?
For most products, the manufacturer’s website is the best source. In this case, the manufacturer redirects buyers to Amazon, but they are quite reliable, so you should not encounter any issues placing and receiving your order.
|General rating||3.7/5 stars|
|Recommended usage||Daily serving|
|Ingredients||26 strains probiotic blend with vitamin C|
|Allergenic potential||Milk, corn, soy|
|Cost||$23.99 (60 servings)|
|Side effects||Gastrointestinal discomfort|