Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Review
Rating: 4.3/5 stars
If you rely on probiotics to help eliminate the impact of your unhealthy diet on your health, a quick research will show you that Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra is one of the best-rated probiotic supplements out there.
But is it really worthy of the title of “Ultimate Probiotic Formula”? A verdict like this requires in-depth research, which includes getting to know the producer, the ingredients, the guarantees, the reputation, and the price of this product.
Due to the fact that supplements are not subject to regulations or standards like those imposed by the FDA or some other organizations, it is your responsibility to make sure they don’t pose any health risks and they live up to their claims. Let’s see how what this one has to offer!
About Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra
According to the official website, this supplement relies on a potent, broad-spectrum formula of probiotics with a daily dose live cells count approaching 15 billion. The formula includes 13 bacteria strains, including Homeostatic Soil Organisms (soil-based probiotics). It promises to:
- Support intestinal health and transit
- Maintain immunity
- Support normal gut PH levels and lactic acid bacteria balance
- Nourish the intestinal mucosa and support the intestinal epithelium barrier
- Use UltraZorbe™ capsules to ensure complete dissolution
- Use BioProtect® packaging to preserve ingredient potency and viability
The official recommendation is to begin with one capsule of Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra per day, and gradually increase to three capsules per day, preferably taken before meals, with 8oz. of water. In theory, anyone can benefit from taking this supplement, but the manufacturer clearly states it was not intended for children.
So far, everything about this supplement looks promising, but marketing is rarely an issue for supplement companies. The problem usually lies with the truth behind their fruitful marketing campaigns, and that is what we’ll uncover in the following line.
Let’s start with the beginning: the company that manufactures Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. They have been in business since 2000, yet, they don’t have a Better Business Bureau rating yet. This is not necessarily bad, but it is not encouraging either.
They seem to have a rather good reputation among buyers, and you cannot help to appreciate their involvement in various charity programs and their commitment to protecting the environment. As far as the quality of their products is concerned, they hold several 3rd party certifications, such as:
- USDA Organic
- Certified Vegan
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- NSF Gluten Free
- Certified Gluten Free
- U Kosher
- Star-K Kosher
- B Corp
- Informed Choice
- Green-e Energy
- LEED Gold
The only aspects we don’t like about them is the lack of information on the team developing their products and the poor and shallow educational background of their Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. It is always encouraging to know that the product you trust with your health was developed by a reputable specialist (if that’s the case).
Unfortunately, the official websites only introducers some educators and ambassadors, like Bruce Topping, in whose case the term self-taught aims to compensate for the average qualifications and seems to do more harm than good in terms of credibility.
Returning to the product, the probiotic formula looks quite attractive, containing highly studied and beneficial strains we’ll discuss in detail below. The CFU count is impressive as well (5 billion/capsule), but two aspects leave room for improvement: bacterial viability, and unknown strain proportions in each serving.
The viability of the live bacteria in Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra is only guaranteed at manufacturing date. This means the CFU count could decrease significantly during the product’s shelf life. However, third party tests showed it to be around 70%, which is still impressive. Also, the milk test shows consistent bacterial activity, so we have no reason to suspect that the product does not work.
As for the proportions, the ingredient list only mentions the bacteria strains present but does not say anything about the CFU count for each strain, or at least some basic proportions, to give consumers an idea of which strains have the upper hand.
The recommendation to gradually increase the dosage is encouraging as well, as it proves the manufacturer’s interest to decrease side effects. Even with the gradual dosage increase, you can expect some mild stomach pain, gas, and bloating. These are common side effects with efficient probiotics, and prove that they work.
Judging by user reviews, Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra should work miracles for those suffering from constipation, but may be a little too hard on those with already loose stools.
Three capsules per day, before meals, seems a little challenging for those with a busy schedule, who do not eat regularly. Luckily, the packaging makes it easy to carry the supplement with you wherever you go. The only recommendation is to store them somewhere cool and dry.
It is comforting to know that those who are not satisfied with the supplement can recover their through the 30-day money back guarantee. Unfortunately, the terms for refunds are not clear, so those wanting to recover their money will have to turn to customer service. The free shipping for orders exceeding $25 is a huge plus.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ingredients
According to the label, each capsule contains 2 mg of iron, 290 mg of ionic plant based minerals, organic barley and oat grass, Saccharomyces Boulardii, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bifidobacterium Breve, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Brevis, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Paracasei, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, and Lactobacillus Salivarius. The capsules are made of vegetable cellulose and organic rice.
- Iron – It is a mineral present in many foods and supplements, including Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. It is a major component of hemoglobin, the erythrocyte protein responsible for the oxygen transfer from the lungs to the other tissues in the body. By contributing to the oxygenation of muscles and nerves, it supports metabolism, but also physical and mental development, normal cellular functions, and hormone and connective tissue synthesis.
- Ionic plant based minerals – Their purpose is to activate the enzymes and bacteria in the digestive system.
- Organic barley and oat grass – These organic grass varieties form the base of the product, while the carbs in them act as prebiotics, feeding the probiotics.
- Saccharomyces Boulardii – This yeast underwent numerous studies that prove its ability to prevent and treat most types of diarrhea, fight helicobacter pylori and C. difficile infections, and treat IBS and giardiasis.
- Bacillus Subtilis – Commonly used in supplements for its ability to settle and form spores, this strain in Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra promises to support the immune system, inhibit pathogens, improve the intestinal flora balance, boost carbs and fats digestion and help turn them into small chain fatty acids, and lower glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum – Subject to numerous studies, this strain is able to treat vitamin deficiencies and the conditions arising from them. It strengthens the bones, improves blood flow, boosts energy levels, supports red cell production, and stimulates mental and physical development.
- Bifidobacterium breve – It gives Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra the power to improve colon functioning while preventing disease, irritation, and constipation. It also treats diarrhea and gas, while stimulating the immune system to prevent infections with Candida and E. coli.
- Bifidobacterium lactis – It is famous for its role in the waste breakdown, but it also stimulates immunity, regulates cholesterol, and improves vitamin and mineral absorption. Further research is necessary to determine if it also boosts digestion and prevents tumor growth, but the information available so far is encouraging.
- Bifidobacterium longum – This strain is responsible for Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra’s ability to stimulate lactic acid production and sugar fermentation. It also has beneficial effects in alleviating gas, bloating, constipation, and gastrointestinal discomfort from stress and anxiety. Some studies suggest it stimulates immunity and lowers the incidence of colon cancer cases.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus – Its main role is to synthesize vitamin K and lactase. Its health benefits go from alleviating respiratory conditions to lowering cholesterol levels and treating bowel irritation and diseases, diarrhea, and vaginal infections. It helps with lactose digestion and boosts immunity as well.
- Lactobacillus brevis – This strain makes Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra perfect for administration during treatments with antibiotics. It maintains the health and density of the gut flora while slowing down or even eradicating pathogens.
- Lactobacillus casei – Several studies prove this strain’s ability to treat gastrointestinal issues. It seems to help with diarrhea and constipation as well, all while eliminating infections and counteracting the negative effects of antibiotic treatments.
- Lactobacillus paracasei – The presence of this strain on its ingredients list suggests that Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra could help with weight management, and reduce fat storage. Other health benefits include improved digestion, reduction of abdominal cramps, bloating, gas, antibiotic side effects, and intestinal irritations. Some studies suggest this strain fights streptococcus mutans infections, responsible for tooth decay, halitosis, and other oral health issues.
- Lactobacillus plantarum – According to various study results, this bacterium is very valuable to bowel functioning and health. It treats the side effects of antibiotics, support gut flora balance, and improves immunity and mood.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus – Another strain that points to Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra’s role in weight management, it seems to help with diabetes prevention as well. Other effects include gastrointestinal functioning improvement, immunity support, and acid reflux, urinary infections and seasonal allergies treatment.
- Lactobacillus salivarius – Its main benefits include the ability to treat gastrointestinal issues like lactose intolerance, antibiotic-related diarrhea, high cholesterol, irregular blood pressure, and bowel disease. It is important for oral health as well, strengthening the teeth, and preventing oral infections.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Allergy Concerns
Being organic, vegetarian, and gluten-free, this product does not raise many concerns when it comes to allergies. Its ingredients list is clear, free of major allergens. If you want to be 100% sure, you can discuss with your doctor the possibility to experience unwanted reactions to the Saccharomyces Boulardii yeast, the ionic plant based minerals, the oat and barley grass, the vegetable cellulose, or the rice.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Overall Cost
The supplement is available in bottles of 60, 90, 180, and 216 capsules, at the prices of $33.70, $43.22, $76.96 and, respectively, $76.96 (216 for the price of 180 capsules). This makes daily costs range from $1.70 to $1.1, for the recommended daily dose of 3 capsules. This places the supplement in the mid-priced range, making the costs acceptable, assuming the results live up to the promises.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Side Effects
Even when following the manufacturer’s recommendation, to begin with just 1 capsule/day, you should expect mild stomach discomfort, diarrhea, cramps, gas, and bloating. To stay positive, you can think of these side effects as a sign that the supplement works and the probiotics in it are doing their job, especially since any unwanted reactions should fade away in a couple of days.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Manufacturer Guarantee
The official website states that the manufacturer offers a 30-day money back guarantee for this supplement. It should be enough to let you know if it works for you or not. However, we could not find any details on how they process refunds, so you may want to contact the customer service and request more information before ordering.
Where to Buy Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra?
Our advice is that you order this supplement from the official website, to make sure it is genuine and benefit from the lowest price and the manufacturer’s guarantee.
The Bottom Line about Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra
We have a promising product, with well-researched, valuable ingredients, from a reputable manufacturer that stands by it. Sure, some things could use some improvements, but nothing is ever perfect, and this is a product from a category that is not regulated by the FDA or other organizations. Many of its competitors only rely on misleading presentations, deceitful monthly subscriptions, and websites with only a P.O. box address behind them.
Based on the available ratings and reviews, on our findings on this supplement, and on our experience with others, we believe it is worth a try. Of course, the final decision is always yours, since it is your money at stake, but, if you want a more comprehensive probiotic supplement for long-term use, Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra should be a viable candidate.