If you are trying to improve your diet and live a healthier life, and you are a fan of TV shows like that of Dr. Oz, than you may have heard the names of health gurus like Dr. Axe, and gained interest in products like Dr. Axe SBO Probiotic.
Sometimes, these health gurus start appearing in TV and radio programs, they create their own websites and radio channels, and they teach people how to care for their health. Many times, their teachings have underlying messages that drive those who listen to buy certain products.
The question we should all ask is whether those products were developed to match the facts, or the facts were twisted to promote those products. We can’t know that for sure, but we can take a closer look, and judge each product by its manufacturer, its claims, its ingredients, and its user feedback.
About Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic
This product is part of the Axe Nutrition Collection of Dr. Josh Axe, famous TV shows guest, radio show host, and a certified natural medicine doctor, chiropractor, and clinical nutritionist. It seems to replace another supplement from the Axe Naturals Collection, Live Probiotics.
Axe Naturals Live Probiotics is no longer on sale, after Dr. Axe announced that the collection would be replaced with a new one, even more potent. Compared to its predecessor, the new supplement is not that well received, but it is early to give a verdict since it has just reached the market.
As the name suggests, Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic relies on “soil-based organisms”, namely bacteria known for their ability to form spores and populate the gut, supporting local flora growth and diversification.
Their main characteristics are the ability to withstand the harsh acid environment specific to our upper digestive tracts and stomachs, and stability, meaning that they don’t need coatings or preservatives to survive processing and shelf life.
Besides the probiotic blend, consisting of six strains that we will cover in detail below, the supplement also contains an interesting fermented organic botanical blend containing fermented seeds and adaptogenic herbs. The latter serves a dual purpose: it provides food for the probiotics, and valuable nutrients for the end consumer as well.
One serving of Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic consists of 2 capsules and contains 1268 mg of the botanical blend and 50 billion CFUs from the probiotic blend. The capsules should be administered at the same time, with 8 ounces of water or juice.
In terms of health benefits, the official website claims this supplement supports immune health, digestion, nutrient absorption, digestion of difficult-to-digest substances like lactose and gluten. These claims rely on a comprehensive presentation of probiotics in general and SBOs in particular.
Unfortunately, the facts are not as great and encouraging as the presentation. To start from the origins, the famous Dr. Axe has quite a few opponents. His company does not have a Better Business Bureau rating but has received over 20 complaints related to misleading advertising and customer service issues.
As for Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic, while the ingredients list is promising, and we’ll discuss it in detail below, it doesn’t say how much of each bacteria strain or plant extract a serving contains. While the USDA Organic and gluten-free certifications are a major plus, the allergenic potential of the supplement is high, due to the presence of milk.
Then, the CFU count is only guaranteed at manufacturing, so there is no telling how many cells will survive the challenges of shelf life and shipping. The good news is that unsatisfied customers can get their money back, the manufacturer having a 60-day refund policy in place.
Although in theory, Dr. Axe SBO Probiotic should not induce side effects, in practice, most probiotics do. You should, therefore, expect some gastrointestinal discomfort, maybe even nausea on the first days of use. The good news is that the first beneficial effects should become noticeable within a week or so.
It would be helpful to have more reviews to relate to in order to decide if this supplement lives up to its developer’s reputation or not. It is intriguing to see close to 150 reviews and an average rating of 5 stars on the official website and just a couple or reviews scattered on various websites, with ratings ranging between 2.5 and 3.5 stars.
Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic Ingredients
The list of active ingredients includes: sprouted Chia seeds, sprouted Canihua seeds, Astragalus root, Ashwagandha root, Turkey Tail Mushroom, sprouted Flax seeds, sprouted Pumpkin seeds, sprouted Hemp seeds, sprouted Green Pea seeds, Ginger root, Turmeric root, Holy Basil leaf, sprouted Milk Thistle seeds, Sprouted Broccoli seeds, sprouted Mung beans, Bacillus clausii, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus subtilis, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Saccharomyces boulardii.
To see exactly how Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic works and what benefits it can provide, let’s take its active ingredients one by one and find out their potential. Keep in mind that all ingredients are organic.
- Flaxseeds – They are one of the richest vegetable sources of omega-3 fats, known to improve nutrient absorption and cellular health.
- Chia seeds – They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well, supporting nutrient absorption and detoxification, and providing the body with valuable natural antioxidants.
- Cañihua seeds – Close relatives of quinoa, these seeds are loaded with proteins, minerals, vitamins, and flavonoids, known to support skin and cardiovascular health and maintain the microbial balance.
- Astragalus – Its high antioxidant content gives Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic the power to support and boost cellular health.
- Ashwagandha – This adaptogenic herb helps the body cope with stressful situations and maintain its health.
- Hemp seeds – They contain complete proteins, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids known to support brain, skin, and hair health.
- Pumpkin seeds – They burst with omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, and iron.
- Broccoli seeds – Few plants are as rich in iron, folate, A, C, and K vitamins, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, selenium, and manganese as this Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic ingredient. The raw plant retains myrosinase, the enzyme responsible for breaking down glucosinates into sulforaphane, which supports cellular health.
- Milk thistle seeds – Used by the ancient Greeks for its health benefits, they support liver health.
- Peas – They are rich in carotene, folate, and A and C vitamins, and highly appreciated for their ability to support cardiovascular health.
- Ginger – It has powerful antioxidant effects, supporting detoxification, immunity, and normal glucose levels.
- Mung beans – They are rich in folate, helping Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic support hormonal and cellular health. They also provide valuable amounts of vitamin A, C, and K.
- Turmeric – This peppery, warm, and flavorful spice has valuable antioxidant properties, supporting weight management, and providing a wide range of health benefits.
- Bacillus clausii – Resistant to pH environments and antibiotics, it helps restore the intestinal flora balance during and after antibiotic treatments. Studies show it is highly effective at treating respiratory conditions, side effects of antibiotic treatments of Helicobacter pylori, diarrhea, low immunity, as well as infections with superbugs like Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecium, and Clostridium difficile.
- Bacillus Coagulans –Research shows it can fight diarrhea, respiratory and Helicobacter pylori infections. Due to it, Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic supports digestion, treats inflammatory diseases and colitis, prevents cancer, strengthens immunity, and supports vaccine effectiveness. It also counteracts the side effects of immunosuppressant medicines.
- Bacillus Subtilis – A powerful colonizer and spore-forming bacterium, it withstands highly acidic environments and provides numerous health benefits. Among them, it improves immunity, inhibits pathogens, improves intestinal flora, boosts the digestion of carbs and fats, turning them into small chain fatty acids, and lowers triglycerides, glucose, and cholesterol.
- Lactobacillus paracasei – This strain helps Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic support weight management and decrease fat storage. Its presence points to other health benefits as well, such as improved digestion, lower incidence and intensity of abdominal cramps, antibiotics side effects, intestinal irritations, bloating, and gas. Research indicates this probiotic can fight streptococcus mutans, thus preventing oral health problems like tooth decay or halitosis.
- Lactobacillus plantarum – Studies show this probiotic in Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic’s formula supports bowel health and functioning, fights antibiotic side effects, helps restore intestinal balance, and boosts mood and immunity.
- Saccharomyces Boulardii – This is one of the most beneficial yeasts in our bodies. Heavily studies, it seems to treat most diarrhea types, prevent infections with C. difficile and Helicobacter pylori, and treat IBS and intestinal parasites.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any information regarding the ingredients used for the Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic capsules, but reviews of the previous supplement, Axe Naturals Live Probiotics, mention Hypromellose, Gellan Gum, Vegetable Stearate, and Silica.
You cannot help but appreciate the organic, gluten-free content of this supplement. However, its allergenic potential is considerable, since it contains milk, yeast, and a variety of seeds. Those who want to be sure they won’t develop an allergy should discuss the ingredients with their doctors.
Those who would rather move directly to administration, can begin with a lower dose, one capsule, or even half, and follow their body’s response for a day or two. If nothing happens, they can move on to the recommended dosage. If they experience any unusual reactions, they can stop taking the supplement and ask for a refund.
Dr. Axe SBO Probiotic Overall Costs
Depending on how many bottles you order (1, 3, or 6), the 30 days supply can cost $39.96, $37.46, or $34.97. Those who have already tested Dr. Axe’s products and are convinced of their effectiveness can opt for recurring deliveries and save another 10%, gain access to VIP customer support, and have the possibility to try new products earlier. Shipping is free for orders exceeding $99.
Depending on the order option you choose, your daily costs with this supplement will range between $1.05 and $1.35. This isn’t cheap, but it could be worth paying if the product lives up to its promises, as there are both cheaper and more expensive probiotic supplements out there.
Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic Side Effects
This probiotic blend does not seem to induce any side effects. This should be good news for everyone. However, most products in this category cause mild gastrointestinal discomfort on the first days of use. It is a sign that the probiotic strains have reached the destination and are beginning to work their magic.
Should we consider the lack of side effects a sign that the product is not very effective? Some third party reviews certainly suggest that, and it is possible, considering that the viability of the probiotic strains is only guaranteed at manufacturing.
Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic Manufacturer Guarantee
Dr. Axe offers no less than 60 days to its customers to try products and claim a refund if they are not satisfied. This is very encouraging and shows confidence that the results will be positive. Those who want a refund have to announce their intention to the customer service, wait for a confirmation, and return the empty bottles.
Where to Buy Dr. Axe Nutrition SBO Probiotic?
The supplement does not seem to be available on many other websites, and it is always best to order it directly from the source, so we recommend the official website.
The Bottom Line about Dr. Axe SBO Probiotic
It is still early to give a final verdict on this product, considering that it has barely reached the market and the unbiased reviews available on it are few and contradictory. The ingredients list is impressive, the developer’s reputation is sound, not necessarily very good, and the official presentation is quite comprehensive and transparent, something many products lack.
Of course, the presence of milk, the size of the capsules, the occasional complaints regarding delayed shipping or double charges are not encouraging, but let’s face it, no business is perfect. It is important that the company stands by its product and tries to solve problems as they appear.
We believe that if Dr. Axe’s products were so bad, the truth would have gotten to the surface by now. Dr. Axe SBO Probiotic may not be the best supplement out there, but it surely isn’t the worst, and trying it will cost you very little – the shipping.