General score: 2 ½ / 5 stars
Form of presentation: caplets
Serving dimensions: 7mm x 7mm
Recommended dosage: 1-2 caplets/ day
Bottle content: 30 caplets
Daily cost: $0.99 – $1.99
Viability: through end of shelf life
CFUs count: 2 billion
Ingredients: 7 probiotic strains, among which we can find: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus salivarius, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Bifidobacterium longum; the product also contains fructooligosaccharides (25mg)
Customer satisfaction: guaranteed
Product category: daily usage probiotic
Purchasing: via the manufacturer’s official website
All in all, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage only reaches a rating of 2 ½ stars out of 5, which places it at an average standard for this type of probiotic enhancer. Although there are many advantages to using it, there are also some drawbacks which cannot ultimately be ignored.
Let us start with the pros of Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage – firstly, this supplement’s presentation format is more than ideal. The 7mm x 7mm caplets (a form of coated oral medicine) are extremely easy to swallow, more so since they resemble round candy. This is a good quality especially for those who dislike or have a hard time taking big pills, as well as one which simply makes the experience overall more enjoyable – just take 1-2 caplets with water before any meal of the day (without chewing or crushing them) and you are done!
Secondly, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage offers a good probiotic component: with 7 strains of ‘friendly’ bacteria and 2 billion CFUs (colony forming units) for each individual caplet, this supplement appears to be mild enough so as to not cause any side effects (as experienced by myself personally), but powerful enough to actually make a difference in the gut’s state of health.
Thirdly, the present product guarantees probiotic viability through the end of shelf life, as well as a 90 days ‘money back’ policy, which are both very welcomed and crucial aspects of a good quality probiotic.
So why does Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage have such an average rating after all? Well, as said above, there are a number of disadvantages which negatively influence the experience.
For example, the fact that the daily dosage may vary between 1-2 caplets is not always fortunate, with a singular and well established dosage being better in the case of such probiotic enhancers. Furthermore, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage has to be refrigerated after the bottle has been initially opened, a characteristic which makes it highly impractical when it comes to travelling or carrying it around with you throughout the day.
To make matters worse, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage is not particularly allergen friendly. This supplement explicitly contains milk traces that could affect the lifestyle of those suffering from lactose intolerance or those who are following a specific vegetarian or vegan diet.
Even though the product claims itself to be safe for these categories of individuals, caution is definitely advised when it comes to milk and dairy sensitivity.
Lastly, the most obvious drawback presented by Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage is that of the pricing: for one bottle of 30 caplets, you will have to pay approximately $30. Now, depending on the dosage you are advised to take by your doctor, this bottle might last you anything between 15-30 days, which is not very convenient after all.
Take into account that each routine dosing will be something around $1-$2 and you will quickly understand how this item is considered expensive when compared to other similar probiotic supplements presenting the same CFUs and strain count.
Overall, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage can be a very good probiotic supplement owing to its mild action and simple administration – that is, if you can look past its allergenic potential and monthly cost.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum – is a ‘good’ sort of bacterium for your intestinal health and immunity screening alike. It has been demonstrated to keep gut balance in check, facilitate digestion, and boost nutrient absorption. What is more, Bifidobacterium bifidum can act as a powerful antimicrobial and protect the organism against any unwanted pathogens. Its most prominent advantages include allergy management, fighting off infections (both intestinal and vaginal, for example), and reducing the duration of common cold episodes.
- Bifidobacterium longum – can be naturally found in the stomach, small intestine, and colon, where it keeps microflora balanced and significantly helps the digestive process (by simplifying food decomposition and enhancing nutrient assimilation at the level of the gut). Bifidobacterium longum is known for its ability to inhibit pathogen development and subsequent spreading, and, as a result, that of protecting the immune system. Other advantages include reducing cholesterol readings, eliminating diarrhea and constipation episodes, relieving lactose intolerance symptoms, aiding in the management of ulcerative colitis, diminishing inflammation at the intestinal level, etc.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus – this ‘acid-loving’ bacterium maintains gut health by enabling better lactose tolerance, decreasing the occurrence of diarrhea episodes (especially in children), and restoring normal intestinal balance after prolonged usage of antibiotics. This translates into fewer unwanted symptoms like gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc. Lactobacillus acidophilus has also been demonstrated to alleviate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, as well as those produced by Crohn’s disease (a type of bowel inflammation). Its ability to boost antibodies production has made this beneficial bacterium be seen as a very good response towards illnesses like Salmonella and even cancer.
- Lactobacillus fermentum – one of the most well-known attributes associated with Lactobacillus fermentum is that it can help prevent the formation of cavities. Furthermore, this ‘friendly’ bacterium presents a very strong pH tolerance, which translates into longer periods spent inside the intestinal system. Here, Lactobacillus fermentum works towards meliorating the effects of bowel irritability, allergenic reactions, and high cholesterol readings. The latter is achieved by speeding up cholesterol metabolism. Additionally, Lactobacillus fermentum displays both antioxidative and antimicrobial properties.
- Lactobacillus plantarum – is a highly versatile probiotic that supports immunity and digestive health via various mechanisms. Thus, Lactobacillus plantarum destroys pathogens and stops their future occurrence through its antimicrobial and anti-pathogenic effects. Secondly, it helps the digestive process and the further assimilation of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Specialists also agree that this ‘good’ bacterium can aid in the management of gastrointestinal problems of the IBS, Crohn’s disease, and colitis type.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus – benefits the human organism by helping both the digestive and urinary tracts. This is done by promoting intense immune protection through antimicrobial action (Lactobacillus rhamnosus flushes out harmful pathogens from the intestinal environment and prevents their further development, hence also preventing the installation of gastrointestinal problems). From the numerous benefits of consuming the Lactobacillus rhamnosus probiotic strain we could also point out that of preventing urinary and renal infections, easing lactose intolerance symptoms, shortening diarrhea episodes, etc.
- Lactobacillus salivarius – is especially beneficial for those who are in the habit of travelling often because it can keep away an intestinal issue known as ‘traveller’s diarrhea’. Furthermore, Lactobacillus salivarius promotes a good immunity protection and nutritional assimilation, which ultimately ward off illnesses such as E coli and issues related to extended antibiotic treatments. Due to its high resistance to bile and stomach acid, this beneficial bacterium can also promote its antimicrobial and digestive properties for longer periods of time inside the gut, thus leading to a sense of overall wellbeing in time.
Moreover, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage contains fructooligosaccharides (or FOS, an alternative sweetener), microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, pectin, sodium carbonate, stearic acid, guar gum, and turmeric (colour).
Naturally, the purpose of probiotic supplements is that of enhancing a person’s health, which is why allergenic concerns are generally a matter that has to be seriously taken into consideration. As such, the Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage bottle states that the probiotic does include in its composition traces of milk protein resulted from the manufacturing process.
Although the disclaimer following after this stresses that the probiotic is ‘suitable for individuals following a lactose-free or lactose restricted diets’, there is no denying that the supplement has milk in its compositional blend and that it can cause problems for those who are either allergic or highly sensitive to this element.
The safest option in this situation is to consult with your doctor before starting the administration of this probiotic (regardless of whether you are lactose intolerant or not).
In addition, pregnant or nursing mothers should definitely consult with their physician before taking this dietary enhancer. On the plus side, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage is mentioned as being gluten-free.
As previously mentioned, one bottle of Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage costs $29.99. At 30 caplets per each packaging and a recommended dosage of 1-2 caplets for each day, the value of a regular dosage will range between $0.99 and $1.99. Needless to say, this is a bit of a stretch in the supplement department and could end up making your wallet very unhappy.
To put things into perspective, you should know nutritionists generally believe that anything around or above the $1 mark for each individual dosing of probiotics/singular day is to be considered as expensive. Hence, with every caplet reaching the $0.99 mark and a habitual dosage which can be doubled if needed, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage does indeed seem to be overall expensive.
When it comes to probiotic supplements, the issue is always whether they are going to create noticeable side effects or not. Why? Well, because an exterior addition of these ‘friendly’ probiotics will initially cause an imbalance in your gastrointestinal flora, no matter how healthy or affected it started out being in the first place.
This means that the initial couple of days of using a probiotic enhancer can bring about symptoms like abdominal discomfort, gas and bloating, etc. Although not a source of concern – since they mark the body’s attempt to adjust to the new microflora count – these are nonetheless unpleasant and could potentially affect your day to day activities in a negative manner.
Fortunately, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage did not cause any of the aforementioned issues in my particular case. Aside from the supplement’s quality, another reason for this might be its relatively mild bacteria count, namely that of 2-4 billion CFUs, depending on your daily dosage.
When compared to other commercially distributed such products – which promise a supplementation of up to 40 billion CFUs – you can begin to understand why the Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage caplets work so temperately, yet still beneficially in terms of probiotic boosting.
Another important aspect of probiotic enhancers is their manufacturer guarantee, which actually comes in two types. The first and most obvious is that of customer satisfaction, namely that which ensures the buyer’s right to return the product in case he or she is not completely happy with the results it shows in a predetermined amount of time. If other similar items only offer a 30 day ‘window’ of return, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage extends this trial period to a very convenient 90 days.
In simpler terms, it means the following: if you have purchased the Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage caplets and used them regularly, yet failed to obtain the desired effect, then all you have to do is return the product packaging and you will receive a full refund, no questions asked.
Secondly, Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage also guarantees bacteria viability until the expiration date (whereas other such probiotics ensure that the organisms are alive only until the time of manufacturing). This aspect implies that all caplets will presumably contain the same amount of live bacteria, regardless of whether they are amongst the first or last dosages.
Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage can be purchased through the company’s official website.
Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage – general view
|Category||Dr. David Williams Probiotic Advantage|
|General rating||2 ½ / 5 stars|
|Recommended usage||Daily usage probiotic for gastrointestinal health and immunity protection|
|Ingredients||7 probiotic strains, 2 billion CFUs|
|Allergenic potential||The product contains traces of milk|
|Cost||$29.99 (30 caplets)|
|Side effects||No noticeable side effects|
|Manufacturer guarantee(s)||100% ‘money back’ policy within 90 days|
|Purchasing||Via the manufacturer’s official website|